Monday, February 15, 2010
I made this after watching a video on youtube made by Depressioncooking. Clara and her grandson make videos of the foods that Clara and her family ate during the depression.Clara also has a cookbook that came out last October that is amazing. I've made a few of her recipes but I think this one is my favorite.
The original recipe calls for hot dogs but I used veggie dogs instead. But you can use any kind of hot dog that you want, meat or not. I haven't tried it but I think if you cut up sausages and used them like hot dogs that might be nice as well.
You will need:
vegetable peeler (optional)
1 medium size potato
1/2 cooking onion
1-2 Veggie dogs or Hot dogs
1 tbs tomato sauce or tomato paste or ketchup
1/4 cup water
Salt and Pepper to taste
1) Peel and dice the potato.If you prefer you can leave the skin on the potato. When dicing the potatoes make sure that they are about the same size. This will allow to be done at the same time. There is nothing worse then eating a meal with some cooked pieces and some raw pieces.
2) Peel and dice the onion. If you like you can use the whole onion, it really depends on your taste and the size of the onion.
3) Pre-heat the pan with the oil.
4) Add the potatoes to the pan and cook for about 4-5 minutes. Stir the potatoes often.
5) Add the onions to the pan and saute for another 4-5 minutes.
6) Add the water to the pan. This will ensure that the potatoes are fully cooked.
7) Add the tomato sauce and stir. I prefer using tomato paste because if has such a condensed flavor, but tomato sauce and ketchup also work.
8) Once the water is evaporated season with salt and pepper to taste.
If you like you can add some minced garlic when you add the onions. You can also add some of Dana's sauteed mushrooms.