Sunday, July 26, 2009

Vanilla Extract

I was watching Chef At Home on the food network and he made vanilla extract. I really wanted to try it myself and I did a few weeks ago. I looked online for several different recipes and found that it was basically vodka and vanilla beans. When it came time to me making it I didn't follow a recipe. I don't know it that was a good idea or not. Right now(about a month after making it) it still isn't the right colour. I think this may have the do with the amount of vodka I used. I used a whole small bottle. I added another vanilla bean yesterday and I'm going to let it sit for a few more weeks to see it that helps. Since this is the first time I've made this I don't know if there is a certain kind of Vodka that makes it taste better. I used Smirnoff, but I would think that any kind of Vodka would be fine. Vanilla bean are a little expansive, so is the vodka. I got 2 beans for $6.99, but I think if I went to a bulk food store I could of saved a bit but oh well.

You will need
1 small bottle of vodka
3 or 4 Vanilla beans
1 glass jar with a tight fitting lid

1) Cut two vanilla bean in half length ways and scrape out the seeds. Place the seeds inside the jar. Cut the Vanilla bean into half width ways and place into jar.
2)Cut two vanilla beans in half width ways and place inside jar.
3)Add Vodka and put lid on jar.
4)Shake vanilla ever couples days until dark brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment