Sunday, August 7, 2011

BBQ Steam Buns

I'm become addicted to these buns. They are so good. You can get them at Chinese bakeries and they are pretty inexpensive. The one that I go to whenever I'm in Chinatown sells them 3 for $2.00. They also have buns with bbq pork, hot dogs, tuna, cheese etc that they sell for 3 for $1.00. Now me being a natural glutton I always get a vast selection of buns when I go. I was there late last week, I was looking for fake knives for the show I'm working on. I didn't find the knives in Chinatown but I did get my self a "meat pie" filler. I'm planing on using it when I make my ravioli and perogies.

I ate most of the buns on the first day, I think I had 2 steam buns left. One I had for breakfast the other I thought about all day. I was on the train home and trying to curb my massive craving, it was bad. I decided that I would make my own steam buns. That way I'm not on the mercy of Chinatown. I looked at several recipes online, I even spoke to my friend Natalie. You know what I found out! You can use Oyster sauce and Hoisin sauce interchangably. You can also add seasme oil to the dough when you are mixing it or brush some of it over the dough before you add you filling. Also I keep forgetting to take pictures of stuff after it is made. So the next time I make these I'll add a picture of what it looks like steamed.

You will need for 20 medium sized buns

2 tablespoons yeast
1 1/2 cup lukewarm water
4 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons sesame seed oil optional
20 wax paper squares, about 3"x3"

1) Add yeast to 1 cup of warm water, let rest for 5 minutes until foamy.
2) Add 1 cup of flour to the yeast mixture and mix to combine. Let rest for 1 hour.
3) Mix the sugar, and oil together, add to the yeast and flour mixture.
4) Mix in the remaining flour, knead for 10-15 minutes until smooth. Let rest for 2 hours or until double in volume.
5) Divide the dough in two. Roll each peice into a log and cut into 10 peices.
6) Roll the dough in 3 inch circles

7) Add 1 tablespoon or so of the BBQ Pork. Bring the dough together at the top to seal it. Make sure it is completely sealed or filling will leak out while steaming.


8) Place on a wax paper square and let rest for 30 minutes.
9) Using a bamboo steamer or a vegetable steamer, steam the buns for 15-20 minutes. I used a pot with 2 inches of water with a vegetable steamer ontop. I steamed 4 buns at a time.
ENJOY!

To re-heat, steam the buns of 10 minutes or so.

BBQ Pork

2 tablespoons oil
1 green onion -chopped
1 clove garlic- minced
1/2 pound pork cut into small peices
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons oyster sauce or hoisin
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons

1) In a pan heat the oil add the green onions and sautee for 1 minute. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
2) Add the pork and cook for 2-3 minutes.
3) Add the soy, oyster sauce and sugar. Stir everything together and cook for 1 minute.
4) Add the cornstarch and water. Cook until the sauce becomes thick. If it gets to thick add some water or stock to thin it out.
5) Set aside and let cool before filling the buns.

ENJOY!

2 comments:

  1. hey so i also tasted the difference between hoisin and oyster (now that i'm home and have access to both). hoisin is more sweet and used more as a sauce you had when the meal is finished cooking like adding it on top of noodles and meat. sort of like hot sauce. oyster sauce is used more as a cooking sauce and is a little more sour and well smells like oysters. both really tastey and awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll pick up a bottle of oyster sauce. I find this so interesting. I'm going to find a recipe that uses oyster sauce..well one that isn't these buns.

    ReplyDelete