Sunday, August 7, 2011

Fried Zucchini Blossoms


I've seen a lot of people blog about how amazing zucchini blossoms are. I've always wanted to try them. Last Saturday I was going to work, I'm working at the Rose Theatre in Brampton. Every Saturday there is a farmer market on the street next to the theatre. I was early so I decided to walk around. I finally came across zucchini blossoms. I was really excited... the only problem was that I would have to carry it around with me all day and then carry it home. Be it they aren't heavy but I was worried that they would start to wilt before I got home. Oh I should also explain that I'm Stage Managing Romeo and Juliet and it happens to be an outdoor show. Another reason why I didn't want to pick them up. Like I said in my farmers market post there is a market up the street from me every Saturday. I went and came across the most amazing looking zucchini blossoms. I got them and a pint of patty pan squash for $7.00. In total I got 25 zucchini blossoms. Some I made yesterday the rest I made today.

I stuffed the blossoms with a ricotta cheese mixture, dipped them in batter and fried it. I found that some of the cheese came out of a couple of them. But overall they where really good.

You will need:
12 Zucchini blossoms
2/3 cup ricotta cheese
6 basil leaves sliced
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese grated
1 clove of garlic minced
Salt and pepper

1 cup flour
1 cup tonic or soda water

Oil for frying

1) Cut the stems off the blossoms. Peel back the top half of the blossom so it looks like a open flower. 2) In a bowl mix together the ricotta, basil, Parmesan and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
3) Mix together the flour and soda water.
4) Using a pastry bag fill the blossoms with the filling. Each blossom will hold about 1 tablespoon of filling. Fill about 2/3 of the way. Then twist the top leaves together to seal.
5) Heat oil, dip the blossoms in the batter and let the excess batter drain off. Gently place in the oil and cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment