Monday, October 25, 2010

Roti and Curry

So before go on about my latest food experience, I just wanted to say that I completed my cheese challenge. I had wanted to blog everyday about it but I didn't. Either work or my own laziness got in the way.

Roti and Curry is the one dish that up until recently I have only had when my mother would cook it. I don't know why, it isn't very hard to make. But with that said  I have always disliked paying for Guyanese/ Indian food when I could just as well go home and have my mom make it for me. I was having a curry craving Saturday night, so I decided that I would try and make it for myself.....and Adam. Adam.....the boy who hate curry, who cringes every time someone even says the word. I have made it my mission to make him a convert... wish me luck.

I also must say that although it looks very unappealing (something along the lines of body fluids, gross I know) it taste very good. I made this curry with chicken and potatoes. But you can just as easily add whatever you want. Curried egg anyone?

You will need for the Curry
2 medium sized potato ( or 1 large) diced
1 whole onion
4 cloves garlic
1 5cm piece ginger cut into two pieces
2 chicken drumsticks
2 chicken thighs
2 cups water
3 tablespoons curry powder
1 tablespoon coriander
oil- to cook with
Salt and pepper to taste

1) Place 1/2 onion, 2 garlic cloves and 1 piece of ginger into a food processor and chop. If you do not have a food processor  mince the above ingredients. Place in a mixing bowl. Add 1 tablespoon curry powder, stir to combine. Place the chicken pieces in the mixing bowl and stir to coat the chicken in the curry and onion mixture. Let sit for 30 mins.

2) In the food processor place the rest of the ginger, garlic and onion, chop. Heat a pot with a little oil. Add the chopped onion mixture. Saute for 3-4 minutes.
3) Add the coriander and 2 tablespoons curry powder. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.

4) Add the chicken pieces and the potatoes. Stir to coat them with the curry mixture.  Cook for 5 minutes

5) Add the 2 cups water and salt and pepper. Stir, cover and cook for 15 minutes stirring occasionally

6) Uncover and cook until the liquid is thickened. About 15-20 minutes, stir occasionally.
 Done


Roti
Saturday night I made Roti for the first time. It didn't really work out. So I called my mom and she told me how she makes it. I made it today and......it came out! I was very pleased with myself.

You will need
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp oil
1/3 cup warm water
pinch salt

1) In a bowl place the flour and salt, pour in the oil.
2) Pour half of the water and mix with your hands. The dough should be slightly sticky but all the flour should be incorporated. If not add more water. Do not knead, squeeze the dough. Let rest for 15 minutes
3) Cut the dough into 4 pieces. Once rolled, push the center into itself. This is very hard to explain, hopefully the pictures below will give you a better idea.

  Roll out into a circle. Pour over 1 tsp oil and rub over dough. Cut one corner of the dough. Roll the dough together.




4) Let the dough rest for 30 minutes
5) Roll the dough out.
6) Heat a pan or a tava( roti pan), lightly oil. Place the roti on the pan and cook for 2 minutes, you will know when it is cooked when the dough starts to bubble and browns slightly. Flip over and cook a further minute.

7) Carefully remove the roti from the pan and clap right away. But clap I mean take the roti in you hand and clap it to let the air out. If you don't so this it will dry out, be careful it is hot.
8) Enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment