Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Avocado Chicken

I remember years ago going to a Caribbean restaurant that a friend of my moms owns and having chicken stuffed with avocado and poppy seeds (at least I think it was poppy seeds, also this was way before I was a vegetarian.) for some reason this popped into my head yesterday, so I made it. At least I made my own version of it. I looked online to see if I could find a decent recipe for avocado stuffed chicken, I ended up finding one ok recipe repeated on several different sites. Sometimes the Internet can be useless. I ended up making a sort of chunky guacamole, minus the nachos of course. I went to put poppy seeds in it but I forgot to add it, you can add it if you like. But really after making this I don't really see the point. I'm also not entirely sure if that was really poppy seeds in it the first time I had it. Adam really enjoyed this, hopefully you will to. Also I forgot to take pictures while I was making it so I plan on making this again soon. The only one I managed to snap was after I had put it on the plate with some pasta, odd pairing I know.

You will need for 1
1 skinless chicken breast flattened
1 ripe avocado diced
1/3 cup tomato diced
1/2 green onion
squeeze of lime or lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
Oil
Pinch of Sage

1) In a bowl combine the avocados, tomato, green onion, lime juice and salt and pepper. Gently mix.
2) Place the mixture on one end of the flattened chicken breast. Roll into a cigar shape.
3) Place on a pan, lightly salt and pepper the top of the chicken, add a pinch of sage and a slight drizzle of oil.
4) Place in a pre-heated oven (350 degrees) for 15 to 20 minutes depending on the size of the chicken breast.
5) Done!

Notes
1) You can get you chicken flattened at the market or you can do it at home. Place the chicken in a plastic sandwhich bag or place it between two piece of wax paper, hit the chicken with a meat tenderizer ( or a rolling pin like I did).
2) Instead of a flattened piece of chicken you can use a piece that had been butterflied. You can also do this at home. Cut the chicken breast in half width ways, making sure to stop before you cut all the way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment