Sunday, November 7, 2010

Cheese Scones

I am the proud owner of The Joy of Cooking. The 75th anniversary edition to be exact. I was looking through it last night and decided that I would make scones for breakfast. So I did! They where pretty amazing. I added grated old Cheddar cheese and some Parmesan. Then I topped it with some smoked Jarlsberg, just because I had a bit laying around. This recipe is very easy. I used a cookie cutter to make the scones but you can shape it into a circle and cut it into triangles. I came out with about 10.

You will need
1 3/4 cup flour
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold cubed butter
2 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons reserved
1/3 cup whipping cream
1 cup cheese, reserve 1/4 cup for sprinkling at the end

1) Whisk together all the dry ingredients.
2) Add the cubed butter. Using a dough blender 2 knives combine together until small balls form.
3) Create a well in the center of the flour and butter mixture. Pour in the eggs and cream and stir to combine
4) Pour out onto a lightly floured surface and gently kneed a few times. You just want any left over flour to be incorporated.
5) Roll the dough out into a circle and cut into triangles or using a cookie cutter cut the dough into pieces. Transfer to a cookie sheet.
6) Brush some of the reserved eggs on top and sprinkle some of the cheese on top
7) Bake in a 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes.
8)Enjoy!

Tip
1)Instead of cheese you can add herbs like basil or dill.


No comments:

Post a Comment