You will need
1/2 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
1 3/4 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract, or flavoring of your choice
1) In a mixing bowl combine the egg yolks and sugar, mix until pale yellow and slightly creamy
2) In a sauce pan, heat the cream.
3) Add 1/8 cup of the heated cream to the egg mixture and whisk to combine. Add the cream to the eggs 1/8 cup at a time, whisking for 20 seconds or so before the next addition.
4) When the cream and eggs have combined pour the mixture into the sauce pan. Cook over low-medium heat until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Do not over cook.
5) Portion out into creme brulee molds or into ramakins. Chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.
6) To Serve: sprinkle the top with sugar, using a blow torch caramlize the sugar. Make sure not to burn the sugar. If the sugar burns it will taste bitter.
If your custard become lumpy, remove from the heat right away and whisk it. If it is still lumpy you can pass it through a fine seive before pouring it into the molds.