On Wednesday I attempted to make a Pavlova, I figured that I had seen it done enough times that I didn't have to read a recipe. Well I was wrong, sort of. With the meringue cooking in the oven and Adam going on about how he doesn't like meringue which is why he hates lemon meringue pie I decided to look up Pavlova on the Internet. Where I was slightly horrified to learn that I should of added vinegar and cornstarch. I had also forgotten to turn the heat down on the oven after I had popped it in. I decided to abandon my Pavlova and just eat the whipping cream and fruits. But then it happened, I remember a dish called Eton Mess. It is whip cream mixed with crumbled meringue and fruit. Now you are more then welcome to use a store bought meringue but if your like me and have at least a dozen frozen egg whites in your freezer and want to get rid of them. I suggest making your own. I also highly suggest making your own whipping cream, all that ready made stuff isn't good for you and doesn't taste nearly as good as the home made stuff.
You will need for 2 dessert loving people
For the Meringues
6 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
For the Whipping cream
1 1/4 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 pound strawberries sliced or fruit of your choice, reserve 2 strawberries-sliced.
1) Pre-heat the oven to 450. Place the egg whites in a bowl or mixer and whip until until soft peaks form. Then add the sugar and whip until firm peaks.
2) Using a dinner place trace out a circle on a sheet of parchment. Place the parchment on a cookie sheet. Using a spatula shape the meringue, using the circle as a pattern.
4) Meanwhile add the cream, vanilla and sugar in a bowl or mixer and beat until fluffy. Do not over mix or you will have a sweet butter.
5) Once the meringue is cooled crumble it into the cream, then add the fruit and mix to combine
6) Scoop into serving dishes and garnish with the reserved strawberries.