Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Boiled Lobster



I have once again strayed from my vegetarianism, but oh well. Yesterday was Valentines day and I thought that I would be all fancy and make lobster. I had originally intended to make Julia Child's Lobster Thermodore, but I got lazy. Instead I opted to make boiled lobster with a garlic and thyme butter. Now I have never cooked a lobster before in my life and I have only had it once before (which I might add I was about 10 years old).  Now every Thursday night I read the flyer's for the sales that start Friday. I noticed that Fortinos ( for any non Canadians/gta people it would be like a...Whole Foods maybe) had lobster on sale for 6.99/lb. So I decided to make a trek there and pick up a couple. Only problem was when I showed up yesterday morning they didn't have any. So I went to the Sobey's by my house, where they had it for 11.99/lb. Much to me dismay I bought it and it cost me 38.27, I was not very happy with that but it was love day so I didn't mind. The lady at the seafood counter informed me that my lobsters were not refundable and put them in a box for me to carry home....who returns lobsters? Did you know that lobsters pur? I didn't. When I got home I was taking off my boots and coat, all the while I could hear purring. I opened the box and found that it was my lobsters purring. This made me feel worse about having to kill them. When it did come time for the kill I had Adam do it. We both learned that we are squeamish when it comes to throwing lobsters in a pot of boiling water. I screamed and Adam made a noise kind of like "ewwwahhhh". I think the worst part but at the same time most interesting part was killing them. Before I put the lid on the pot I was looking at them. The turned bright red pretty quickly and one of the was wagging it's tail back and forth. I'm morbid, I know but it was interesting to watch. One more thought before I get to the lobster, you will need tongs! I for some reason don't own a pair of tongs, we ended up using a plastic bag to put the lobsters in the pot. Then when it came time to get them out, we used salad tongs....don't use salad tongs. Anyway on to the lobster.

You will need
2 1-1/4 lb  lobsters (1 per person)
a large pot
boiling salted water
tongs(very important)


1) When the water has come to a boil place the lobster(s) in the pot. Place them in upside down and head first. Cover with a lid and let cook for 10 minutes.
2) After 10 minutes turn the heat off and remove the lobsters from the pot. The lobsters are cooked when the antenna can easily be pulled out.

3) Twist the lobster tail until it pops out and put it in half length ways, removed any innards and roe.If you want you can eat the roe.

4) Remove the legs. Break the legs in two where the joint meets, you can poke out the meat with a seafood fork or a fondue fork.
5) The claw, wiggle and twist the thumb (I have no idea what it is called) of the claw. Using a nut cracker crack open the shell and remove the meat. Do the same to the remaining claw.

I threw away the head, it was full off innards and other gunk.

Garlic and Thyme butter
1/2 cup butter
1-2 cloves garlic minced
3-4 springs thyme

1) Melt the butter over medium heat.
2) Add the minced garlic and thyme.
3) Remove the sprigs of thyme before serving
4) Serve warm

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment