Sunday, June 13, 2010

Nigella Lawson's Muclade



Yesterday I went to Chinatown and bought some mussels. I've been making a lot of Nigella Lawson recipes recently so I decided to maker her version of Muclade. It is from her book Nigella Express. I didn't try any, because I don't eat meat but my fiance loved them. I found them pretty easy to make, considering this was my first time cooking mussels. The only thing that I was unsure about was the addition of cream at the end. I found that it curdles slightly, I'm assuming because of the heat. I don't really think it was necessary to add the cream. If I make this recipe again,(which I'm sure I will)I'll try it without the cream. I halved Nigella's recipe,but purely because I bought about 2 pounds of mussels instead of 4 like the recipe called for.

You will need
1 cup white wine
1 green onion
1 clove of garlic
1 tsp curry powder
2 pounds mussels- cleaned and debearded.
1/4 cup cream

1)Clean the mussels, throw away any dead ones.
2)Soak mussels in cold water( I did this for about an hour)
3)Put the white wine, green onions, garlic and curry powder in a pot and let it come to a boil.
4)Add the mussels and put the lid on the pot. Shake the pot.
5)Let cook for 3 minutes shaking the pot every minute or so. After 3 minutes lift the lid, if most of the mussels are open add the cream. If not let cook for a further minute then add the cream.
6)Let simmer for 2 minutes then transfer to a bowl and serve.

Enjoy!!!

***Mussel tip- when cleaning the mussels look for any mussels that are open. Close the open ones, if they stay closed they are alive. If they reopen discard, they are more then likely dead. The opposite foes for them once they are cooked. If any stay closed throw them out. They are most likely dead.***

No comments:

Post a Comment