Saturday, June 25, 2011

Homemade Bread


About 3 months ago Adam and I where at a second hand book store I came across a book called "Bake Your Own Bread". It was $2.50, I figured if I bought it and made at least one good loaf of bread then it was worth it. Well fast forward to today, I have not bought a loaf of bread since April. Baking your own bread is super easy and the best part is most people will have all the ingredients in there home already. So far I have only tried two different types of bread from this book but I will be making my very own naan bread sometime soon as well as rye bread. I've very excited for the rye bread! It's a lot cheaper and far better for you to make your own bread, you also have tons of room to play around with the dough. This recipe uses oil but you can use butter instead, or sugar instead of honey. Really it is up to you. You can also add fillings to the dough before you bake it. In the past I've put cheese, herbs or hot dogs in bread. If you put a hot dog in it I highly suggest adding a dab of ketchup, bbq sauce etc to the middle. I filled a couple of the ones I made today, some had cheese and the others had honey mustard and meat or bbq sauce and meat.  I use my stand mixer to make this, I suggest using one if you have it. Depending on what you want to do with the dough you will get about 12 buns and one loaf out of this recipe.

You will need
2 tablespoon yeast
1/4 cup honey
4 tsp salt
1 3/4 cup warm water
2 cups flour
1 1/4 cup oil
3 eggs
5-6 cups flour

1 egg beaten(optional)

1) In a bowl or stand mixer combine the honey, yeast, salt and water.
2) Mix in the 2 cups of flour. The dough will be very runny.
3) Add the oil and the eggs and mix until combined. The dough will be a golden yellow but still very runny.


4) Add the rest of the flour one cup at a time. You may need more or less depending on the humidity in the air.
5) Kneed the dough for 5-10 minutes. The dough should be silky and slightly moist. Don't add more flour, you want the dough to be a tad sticky.
6) Place the dough in a oiled bowl or a floured counter top. Cover and let rest for 90 minutes.

7) Shape the dough in bun or loaves. You can add your fillings at this time.

8) Let rest 1 hour.
9) OPTIONAL: Brush the bread with the beaten egg.
10) Cook the bread in a 300 degree oven for 20- 25 minutes, or until golden brown.

ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment