Monday, June 27, 2011

Lentils and Sausages


Last year I did a show called Tuesday's with Morrie, it stared Jamie Farr....the guy that wore a dress in M*A*S*H. He is a pretty big foodie, and talked a lot about what he liked to cook and what he grew at his house. One of the recipes that he told me about was a cold green salad with warm lentils and caramelized onions. It is really good, I made if a bunch of times when we where working together but I haven't done it since. I remembered it a couple days ago when I was looking through some cook books. I decided to do a slight twist on it. I don't think it really matters what kind of lentils you use, I happened to have brown lentils at home so that is what I used. I gaged this recipe on 1/2 cup uncooked lentil per person and 2 sausages. So adjust the recipe depending on how many you are feeding. If you don't want to use sausages feel free to use caramelized onions instead.....or maybe shrimp.

You will need for 2 people

1/2 onion- diced
1 cup lentils
2 cups water
pinch of salt

4 sausages
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1/4 cup red wine
1/8 cup water

2 Handfuls of sliced lettuce

1) Heat the oil in a pot, add the onion and saute for 2 minutes
2) Add the lentils and cook until slightly toasted.
3) Add water to the lentil and bring to a boil.
4) Turn the heat down so to a simmer and cover the pot with a lid. Cook for 25-30 minutes.
5) After the lentils have cook for about 15 minutes. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a saute pan.
6) Add the sliced garlic and the sausages. Brown the sausages.
7) Add the wine and water, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
8) In a individual serving bowl add the lettuce, the hot lentils and 2 sausages. Pour over a little of the sauce from the sausages.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment