Thursday, June 16, 2011

Sacher Torte


I think Sacher Torte is one of my favorite cakes. When I was in high school I worked at a German cafe call "Cafe Mozart". I ate a lot of cakes and pastries. I even developed a fondness for rumballs......yes they where made with left over cake. I also love Marzipan.  At Cafe Mozart they would cover the Sacher Torte in marzipan then add the chocolate glaze. I've never had a Sacher Torte with marzipan before or after the ones at Cafe Mozart. When I was 17 I went on a school trip to Austria, Germany and the Czech Republic. While in Austria I had Sacher Torte at the Hotel Sacher, the home of Sacher Torte. I love Sacher Torte. Sacher Torte is served with whip cream.

You will need for 1 8 inch cake.

9 tablespoons soften butter
1/2 cup sugar
150 grams semi-sweet chocolate
6 eggs, separated
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup flower
pinch of salt
vanilla extract
1/2 cup Apricot jam, melted

For the glaze
150 grams semi-sweet chocolate
1 tablespoon shortening.


1) Pre-heat your oven to 350. Butter and flour your cake pan. If using Bake even strips attach them to your pan.
2) Using a double boiler melt the chocolate and butter, remove from the heat and let cool for 2-3 minutes.
3) Add the powered sugar and egg yolks slowly to the melted chocolate, stirring consistently.
4) Whip the egg whites until soft peaks form, add the white sugar and whip until stiff
5) Gently add the egg whites to the chocolate mixture. Add the flour and stir to combine.
6) Pour into your cake pan and bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes.
7) Let cool on a cooling rack with a baking pan underneath.
8) Cut the cake in half width ways and spread the melted apricot jam over the bottom layer. Cover with the top layer of cake.
9) For the glaze: Melt the chocolate and shortening in a double boiler. Pour the glaze on top of the cake. Using a spatula spread out the glaze so it falls over the side of the cake. Leave on the counter to set. Once set you can place it in the fridge. If you put the cake in the fridge before the glaze has set it won't set right. The top with be hard but inside the glaze will be very soft.
10) Serve with sweetened whip cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment