Sunday, June 26, 2011

Tonight for Dinner Veggie Burgers and Quinoa Salad



Tonight I decided that my last dinner I would rehash a old recipe. My friend Jelena sent me a recipe for veggie burger a couple years ago. She found it on a blog called Everybody Likes Sandwiches. It is so simple to make not to mention this is another one of those recipes where you would most likely have all the ingredients on hand. I halved the recipe from the original. I ended up with 4 burgers, two we had today, one I'll take to work tomorrow and the other one Adam can eat tomorrow. I suggest using pieces of walnuts and grinding them yourself, while your at it throw in the garlic and onion instead of mincing them yourself. I also blitz the oatmeal for a couple of times. I don't like having large oatmeal pieces, I like the texture of the chopped oatmeal.

You will need: for 4 burgers
1 cup oatmeal
1 cup walnuts- ground
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 cloves garlic- minced
1/2 medium onion-minced
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste
2 tablespoon or so oil
1 1/2 cup vegetable stock

1) Combine all the ingredients, let sit for an hour or so in the fridge.
2) Form the mixture into patties. Heat a skillet with 2 tablespoon of oil. Pan fry the burgers.
3) Add the stock to the skillet. Cover and let cook for 20-25 minutes.
4) Serve with your choice of toppings.

ENJOY!


Quinoa Salad
Quinoa is pretty easy to find, I generally buy it from the bulk food store but I've also seen it in the super market. You cook it basically the same way you cook rice. 1 cup of quinoa will need 2 cups of liquid to cook, it also yields double its dried measure. Feel free to add whatever fruit and vegetables you like to this salad. I put what I had in the fridge. Just do the same, there is no need to run out and buy dried figs just for this, use raisins or dried cranberries instead. Really the options are endless.

You will need
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
pinch salt

1/8 cup currants
1/4 cup asparagus cut into pieces
1 green onion diced
1/2 bell pepper diced
1/2 tomato diced
3-5 dried figs- reconstituted in water- diced
juice of 1 lime
1/3 cup oil
salt and pepper to taste

1) Wash the quinoa in warm water, drain. Add the quinoa to the water and salt. Cook covered for 8-10 minutes.
2) Fluff with a fork. Let cool
3) In a bowl add the remaining ingredients.
4) Add the cooled quinoa

ENJOY!

I also served this with my Kale and Mango Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment