Friday, July 1, 2011

Happy Canada Day Goulash!


Today is Canada Day and in celebration I made a very unCanadian dish, Goulash. About 5 year ago I went to Germany, Austria and the Czech Republic. I remember going out to dinner one night and having Goulash. I kind of forgot all about it until recently when my friend Jelena and I where talking about her upcoming trip to the Czech Republic. I've had Goulash on the brain ever since. Jelena has come and gone from the Czech Republic and with her return came a photo of a very curious Goulash. A Boar Goulash to be exact. When I saw that picture I knew I had to make Goulash.

I discovered that making this dish is very similar to making my Beouf Bourguignon. It has very similar ingredients and is almost the same preparation....well with the expectation of the dumplings. I will be making this again, hopefully in the near future. I think next time I'll add some root vegetables. I know the ingredient list looks like a lot but really the majority of it is spices. The most labor you will ensue will be browning the meat. Once you have done that your everything else is easy.....well beside the wait. I woke up this morning and wanted Goulash, I'm very impatient when I want something. However in this instance the wait was worth it. A traditional Goulash is served with bread dumplings. I've included the recipe for them below.

Just a little side note. This recipe calls for Paprika. I used Hungarian Paprika, feel free to use whichever on you have at home. If your buying Paprika for this I would get Hungarian or spicy Paprika.

You will need
2 pounds or so stewing beef or pork diced
4 cups sliced onions
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon caraway seeds, toasted and ground
1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
1 teaspoon thyme leaves
3 bay leaf
1 small can tomato paste
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 cups stock (chicken, beef, vegetable whichever you like)
1 teaspoon kosher salt (If using table salt use 1/2 teaspoon)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1) Dry your meat. Heat a saute pan with the oil. Brown the meat in batches. Set aside.
2) Add the onion to the saute pan. Sprinkle the sugar over top. Turn the heat down and let caramelize. Stir occasionally. This should take anywhere from 20-30 minutes.
3) Add the ground caraway and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
4) Add the Paprika cook for another minute.
5) Add the thyme, bay leaves and marjoram. Stir to combine.

6) Add the can of tomato paste and stir for 1 minute.
7) Add the vinegar and stock, stir until everything is combined.

8) Season with salt and pepper.
9) Bring to a boil. When it has reached the boil, reduced the heat and allow to simmer for 1 1/2 hour or so.

Bread Dumplings

You will need
2 cups stale bread cubed
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt

1) Mix the eggs and milk together in a large bowl.
2) Add the baking powder and salt to the flour and stir to combine.
3) Slowly add the flour mixture to the milk stirring to combine.
4) When the batter is smooth add the stale bread.

5) Wet your hand. Form the dough into one or two loafs.

6) Bring a pot of water to the boil.
7) Add the loaf(s) cover and let cook for 10 minutes. Flip the loaf(s) over and let boil for a further 10 minutes.

8) Using a piece of dental floss cut the bread into 1/2 inch slices.
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment