Sunday, July 24, 2011

Fattoush ( Tomato and Cucumber Salad)


I've made this many times, it's really nice and light. The good thing about it is all the ingredients are available year round, but the summer is really the best time to have this. I used Sumac in this recipe, but that it optional. It is kind of hard to find and a little pricey. I've wanted to buy it for a while because Nigella has a could recipes where she uses it. When I was working on a show in Niagara Falls there was a bulk food store just down the street from my hotel. I was there one day and saw that they had it so naturally I had to have it.

You will need
1 cucumber peeled and diced
1 lb cherry tomato's cut in half or quarters
1/2 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
2 pitas
juice from 1/2 lime
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon sumac (optional)

1) Pre-heat the oven to 350. Split the pitas in half width ways and toast until golden. Careful not to burn, I've burned a lot of pitas in my time.
2) In a bowl add all the other ingredients. Mix.
3) Break the pita halves into bite sized pieces. Add half of them to the salad and stir everything together.
4) Just before serving add the remaining pitas.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment