Saturday, July 16, 2011

Panzella Tomato, Basil and Bread Salad


It has got to be one of the tastiest things I've ever made. The best part is if you make it once you will never forget the recipe. I adjust the quantity of the ingredients every time I make it. I like mine to have extra basil and balsamic vinegar, sometimes I want an extra punch of garlic. I'll be taking some to work tomorrow. That's the wonderful thing about a dish like this, it transports really well. I don't even have to worry about keeping it cold. I'll just pop it in my bag on my way to the bus and take it out when I get hungry. 

Fresh tomato's are one of my most favorite things about summer, really I know it sounds silly but it's true. I'm always so interested in those heirloom tomato's that you find at farmers markets, or even super markets now for that matter. They always look so much better then those boring old red ones, who doesn't want a green tomato with strips or a bright yellow one?

I strongly believe that everyone should try this salad....so go ahead make it.

You will need
1 stale loaf of bread cubed
1 bunch of basil sliced
2 medium sized tomatoes diced
1 small onion sliced
2 garlic cloves minced
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup Balsamic Vinegar
salt to taste

1) Pre-heat your oven to 350. Place the cubed bread on a baking sheet and place in the oven until golden brown. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
2) In a large bowl add the garlic, onion, vinegar and oil. Let sit until bread is ready.
3) Add the tomato's and basil to the onion mixture, reserving 1/4 cup or so of the basil.
4) Add the bread, using your hand toss to combine. Season with salt.
5) Let sit for at least 30 minutes.
6) Just before serving sprinkle over the reserved basil.

ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment