Saturday, July 9, 2011

Sardines and a movie

Adam and I went to the grocery store yesterday where I stumbled across a bag of frozen whole sardines. I was surprised because it was only $3.99 for 12 fish. We ended up buying it and when I got home I took 4 out to defrost. Now I've never cook or had a sardine that was not from a tin so I didn't really know what to do with it. I was also not looking forward to gutting it. I highly suggest buying a cleaned fish. However if you buy them whole like I did, you want to cut the head, tail and any fins off first then remove any scales. Then slice the belly open, scrap out all the innards then rinse the fish in water. Word to the wise, the back bone is still in place if you wish you can remove it, or cook the fish on the bone. Just be careful of bones.We ate the sardines with a salad while we watched The Empire Strikes Back. It made for a very enjoyable Friday night.

You will need for 2 people
4 Sardines- cleaned
1/2 medium onion -sliced
1 tomato- diced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons cilantro
1) Heat the oil in a saute pan, add the onions and tomato's saute for 2 minutes
2) Add the herbs and continue to cook until onions are soft
3) Add the sardines, cover the saute pan and cook for 10 minuets or until fish is cooked.
4) Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment